"This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I do not promote anything I do not believe in or stand behind."
National Day of the Horse is always the second Saturday of December. This day was created to bring awareness of the contribution of horses to the economy, history, and character of the United States.
For the study of horses, I highly recommend the HISTORY OF THE HORSE STUDY GUIDE by Hilary Severson, offered by Beautiful Feet Books. My 12-year-old daughter is a HUGE horse fan, always has been. She did this study 2 years ago. She enjoyed it so much that she did it in her free time!
HISTORY OF THE HORSE STUDY GUIDE covers equine history using the texts “The Handbook of Horses” and “Album of Horses”. Living books such as “Black Beauty, King of the Wind, Misty of Chincoteague and Black Stallion” are the backbone of the curriculum. Notebooking is incorporated into each lesson so at the end of the year your student will have a beautiful handmade book of what they have studied.
Unit Studies and Lapbooks
- Horse Unit Study Adventure by Amanda Bennett
- Horses Lapbook Project Pack by Hands of a Child
- Horses Lapbook with Study Guide by A Journey Through Learning Lapbooks
- Horse Lapbook by Thy Word
- The Horse: A Unit Study by DIY Homeschooler
- World of Horses by S&S Learning Materials
- Picture Study – The Horse Fair by Intermediate Language Lessons
- Montessori Horse Breed Cards part 1 & Part two by Professor Poppins
- Horse Anatomy printable
- Horse Breed Notebooking Page by Not Consumed
- Easy to Make Horse Treats Recipe by About Our Horse
- Horse Hidden Pictures by All Kids Network
- Horse Book and Copybook download at Homeschool Base
- How to Draw a Horse Galloping on Youtube:
- The Horse God Built: The Untold Story of Secretariat, the World’s Greatest Racehorse by Lawrence Scanlan
- Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
- Stormy, Misty’s Foal by Marguerite Henry
- War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- Black Beauty by Ruth Brown and Anna Sewell
- King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry
- Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry
- My Friend Flicka by Mary O’Hara
- National Velvet by Enid Bagnold
- National Velvet
- War Horse
- The Black Stallion
Many Blessings and Happy Horsing Around!!