"This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I do not promote anything I do not believe in or stand behind."
There are many reasons why families choose to homeschool. My reason for homeschooling is spelled out in my homeschooling mission which is:
“To raise well-read, godly adults who use their lives to bring God glory and honor in all that they do by learning to be diligent in all of their duties to God, family, and their country.
Who look to God and His Word for direction in every area of their lives, having Biblical wisdom to make God-honoring decisions, and who use their God-given talents to serve the One who blessed them with those talents.
Who will remember to always be thankful for the One who died for them!”
And an integral part of this mission is character building.
Character building, in my opinion, isn’t a separate “subject” like math or science. Character building is an everyday take-advantage-of-teachable-moments, and setting the example task. Of course, it doesn’t hurt to throw in some object lessons, good hero books, missionary stories, and Bible studies.
When my oldest son, who is now 30, was just four years old he took a toy from a grocery store. We were in line waiting while the cashier rang us up, we paid, and proceeded to the car. After I got buckled and had the car started my son handed me a package, which had a little toy gun and handcuffs. He asked me to open it. I look at it for a moment then unbuckle, turn around, and ask my son where he got it. Pointing at the store, he said, “from the store” with the sweetest little smile on his face. THIS WAS A TEACHABLE MOMENT! Needless to say, we went right back in the store and explained everything to the cashier.
Curriculum choices are also made based on my homeschooling mission. We have been homeschooling for 13 years now and over the years we have discovered a lot of good Christian Curriculum out there.
Here’s a list of some we have used in part or whole
- Abeka – “Our mission is to support and equip students, teachers, and parents by providing amazing Pre-K through Grade 12 academic resources based upon biblical values.”
- Masterbooks – “Master Books® is the world’s largest publisher of creation-based material for all ages including apologetics, homeschool resources, reference titles, and quality children’s literature.”
- Alpha Omega – “With print-based, computer-based, and online homeschooling curriculum formats, Alpha Omega Publications has the right Christian homeschool curriculum for you and your family. As a leading Christian homeschooling curriculum publisher, AOP’s award-winning educational products have enabled thousands of families to discover the amazing benefits of a Christian homeschool education.”
- Sonlight – “Sonlight’s homeschool curriculum “secret” comes down to this: we believe most children respond more positively to great literature than they do to textbooks. Books – quality books – can distill the wisdom of an entire life into the span of a few pages. They can feed us with spiritual insight beyond imagination.”
- Landmark – “Landmark’s Freedom Baptist Curriculum offers not only a full line curriculum for preschool through 12th grade but also offers an Academy service allowing homeschoolers to earn an official transcript and accredited diploma.”
I’ve heard it said, “ You can’t pour from an empty cup”. I’m not sure who said it, but I firmly believe it! Mama, you need to make time for yourself to get your cup filled daily!
The Build Your Bundle Homeschool Edition is not only for our children. The Character Bundle includes items for mom too! Here are some of the goodies included in this bundle:
- Growing as a Proverbs 31 Woman
- Building a Godly marriage
- Missionary studies for the whole family
- Children’s Bible activities
- Child training tools
- Scripture reading plans
- Prayer selections
- Faith journaling pages
- Hymn study pages
The Parenting Bundle also contains a wealth of resources to arm you with the tools you need for success in your parenting and child training. Some of the features in this bundle include:
- Parent/Child Bible study on how to choose good friends and be a good friend
- Learn how to remove daily chaos with the routine approach
- Develop a parenting plan that takes your child’s unique needs into account
- Use family vision boards to strengthen the family culture
- How to deal with a difficult child
- Train your kids to be leaders and not followers
- And much more!
Also, I have a printable Character Building freebie for you which lists 15 character building qualities with definitions and Bible references.
The Build Your Bundle Homeschool Edition ends on May 14th at 11:59 pm Est. You don’t want to miss out on these sweet deals!