"This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I do not promote anything I do not believe in or stand behind."
Let’s face it, homeschooling can be hard! There are going to be, or already have been, days when all you want to do is chuck it all and go have a lavender honey latte. I know, I’ve been there. It’s on those days that we need to refer back to our homeschool mission statement.
Your mission statement is a tool to get you re-centered on what’s really important in that emotional moment of feeling like a complete failure or so aggravated with your children that you wonder why in the world did I ever even consider homeschooling these heathens!! Or is that just me lol?
Seriously though, a mission statement is an absolute must for every homeschool. Here are just a few reasons why:
- Guides the planning process
- Everyone is on the same page
- Evaluating decisions
- Sets Goals: academic, family, spiritual
- Stay motivated and on track
- GUIDES THE PLANNING PROCESS – Using your mission statement while planning your school year(each year) is an awesome way to stay focused on your priorities. Keep it handy while making decisions about curriculum, philosophies, reading lists, short-term goals, long-term goals, even time off for holidays, vacations, planned time together, individually and as a family.
- EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME PAGE – This is really important! Discuss what your goals are as a family. Create your mission statement together. This will ensure there’s no confusion.
- EVALUATING DECISIONS – Use your mission statement as a filter when making decisions about social activities, field trips, co-ops, basically, everything so that it lines up with your mission.
- SETTING GOALS – Set individual, spiritual, character, academic, and life skill goals so you know exactly where to focus your efforts.
- STAY MOTIVATED AND ON TRACK – There will be days when you want to chuck it all and public school MAY cross your mind. When these days come, refer back to your mission statement. This will help you refocus and re-prioritize!
You may be wondering where to start. Well, I’m glad you asked! PLEASE start with prayer. Then use this Mission Statement Worksheet packet I’ve created for you to aid in creating your homeschool mission statement.
Be sure to print out more than one copy of your mission statement. Put one in your Homeschool Planner where you will see it every day and hang one in your house where everyone will be able to read it on a regular basis. Go all out and print it on some gorgeous paper and frame it!! You might even consider having everyone sign it.
DON’T FORGET YOUR MISSION STATEMENT WORKSHEET PACKET
Share your Homeschool Mission Statement in the comments below. You just might be the inspiration for someone else.