"This post may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase through these links, (THANK YOU!) I earn a small commission at no cost to you. I do not promote anything I do not believe in or stand behind."
I’m always hearing negative comments about Social Media. I know there are some negatives about Social Media. After all, we do live in a fallen world. But, today I want to point out some positives about Social Media.
The Positives of Social Media
- Friendships – This is especially true for those who are not so out-going. I know I have formed friendships with people who otherwise I never would have met and I am thankful for those relationships.
- Helps Solve Crimes – It is not unusual to hear a news story about a criminal who posted details of their actions online, only to be apprehended within hours. Additionally, social media has proven to be extremely effective in the widespread communications of Amber Alerts and all-points bulletins targeting specific individuals. Tips can begin to filter in within a matter of minutes, which, in some cases, can also be a matter of life or death.
- Empathy – Through social media we are more aware of what is going on in more people’s lives. This gives us the chance to encourage, support, and pray for one another. A perfect example: last week my friend had surgery. I requested prayer for her on Facebook; more than 40 people, that I know of, prayed for my friend!
- News Spreads Faster – There is a plethora of information about current events, weather, birthdays, sales, deaths, and traffic reports, just to mention a few.
- Relationships – With the social media technology we have today it is so easy to keep in touch with family and friends around the world, as mentioned in Praying for Your Missionary Wife.
- Helps Students Improve School Work – Bonds are created with school mates, which gives them a sense of belonging, in turn more is acheived. Social media is also used to get tips on colleges and career options. Facebook has actually published a guide for educators on how to use the social network to enhance learning.
- Good for the Economy – Not only is social media an inexpensive method of advertising but it’s also a great way to connect with customers. AdWeek.com has an Infographic: Facebook’s Impact on the Global Economy, which is astounding.
- Spreading of the Gospel – Social media can be a very effective tool for Christ. For example, because of social media I can share this video with you:
I’m following several Preachers, churches, and other homeschooling moms from around the world on Twitter and I have to tell you it is very encouraging!
Enjoy the video 🙂 and Many Blessings!!